2013-11-09

Painting DF Dwarven Forge as a standard dungeon

SO I started out with painting my DF tiles with the full 4 step process from Stefan's video(minus the random earth stone brick) , and then compared the pre-painted tiles I got.  I think I was in the unique position as I got unpainted base sets and some of my addons painted.... I think a lot of people went all painted or all unpainted(exect a CoS set) or if some did get the painted addons, they didn't get the set of 4 pokorny paints like I did.

So once I was done painting the 1st batch I did - I compared it to the DF factory painted, and I realized a couple of things.

I painted the right and left tiles - middle tile is factory painted - notice how much better the earth stone looks as a dry brush - doesn't stick out so much.


1. factory painted looks like it used 2 steps, not 4
2. the drybrush for the factory painted didn't match any of the 4 bottles of pokorny paints(this is why I say it looks like not a lot of people got both painted and unpainted, and the set of paints - or this would have been noticed)
3. the factory painted with 2 steps still looks great, so no need to do 4 steps..... so

I started doing the tiles with just a drybrush of stone edge which was the closest color to the factory dry brush.  I think they turned out great with just this(and saves a lot of time).

But then I also figured out something great.  Instead of the earth stone painted heavy on a single stone.  I used it as a dry brush for random sections of wall - it looks great this way and really gives the wall that old timey "lived" in look like a real old dungeon.

Also for my brushing - I varied the pressure and the wetness to give the dungeon a really variable look, so its not uniform.

I am also going to be adding some random green highlights for mold/algae, and some reddish highlights for old blood.

but you get a great looking dungeon with:
1. drybrush of stone edge everywhere
2. hits of earth stone randomly

painted next to unpainted before adding the final layer of dry brushing with stone edge 

painted next to unpainted before adding the final layer of dry brushing with stone edge 

painted next to unpainted before adding the final layer of dry brushing with stone edge 

after adding the final layer of dry brushing with stone edge 

earth stone looks great on the barrels



painted and earth stone added as a dry brush





No comments: